Below are examples of practical tips. For a full guide on ransomware protection, seek advice from an IT security expert.
- Identify searchable IT assets via online tools and take steps to reduce that exposure. Ensure best practice passwords/access management.
- Be sure you and any of your users, if you work as part of a company, are trained on IT security, specifically phishing scams (more on our dedicated article on phishing scams) and other good security habits. Use Caution with email attachments.
- Never open attachments from people you do not know; always check email senders before opening them.
- Check URLs before engaging with websites.
- Invest in anti-virus software and routinely update it to keep pace with new threats as they are discovered.
- Understand Patches and Software Updates.
- Make regular back-ups