To avoid falling victim to sextortion, be sure to use the following tips:
- Set all of your social media accounts to private. Do not accept friend requests from (and subsequently engage with) users you do not know in real life.
- Never send compromising images of yourself to anyone—no matter how close you are to them.
- Do not open attachments from people you do not know;
- Turn off your electronic devices and web cameras when not in use;
- On social media or dating platforms, be wary of unknown users who try to move the conversation to another platform very quickly
- Be wary of new online connections that send you unsolicited sexual images they claim are pictures of themselves. Sextortionists often use this tactic to guide the conversation in a sexual direction and lower their victim’s guard.
- Check addresses and domains on Chainabuse before signing transactions or connecting your wallet.